Friday, March 16

Transportation Games


It's light out. I realize I need to start my journey. I gather my pack. Inside I put the supplies I know I will need. Sunglasses, bus pass, wallet, water bottle, sunscreen, watch and a hat. I know it will be cool at first so I wear a jacket. Locking the door behind me I start walking. The air is fresh and cool. The familiar smells of summer sting my nostrils. Freshly mowed grass and dog poop.

Soon I realize my pace is too quick because my legs begin to ache. I've only gone a block. As I start my approach to a busy intersection, the exhaust greets me. By the next crosswalk, I feel the beginning signs of dehydration. Though the air is cool, I am beginning to sweat. After the crosswalk sign changes, I cross the street, I can feel them all watching me. At the same time, feeling safe because no driver can say they didn't see me in my yellow jacket.

I take out my pack and find my water bottle. The water is still cool and refreshes me. After returning my bottle to my pack, I continue walking down a long stretch of sidewalk. I notice a gradual increase in traffic. I find the source of the mowed grass smell as I pass two mowers. Thankfully, they pause when I pass so I'm not sprayed with the damp green blades.

As I near my destination, I realize that I don't see it. The bus stop should be visible from here. Looking at my watch I should be there just in time to not have to wait long. Continuing, I start to get nervous. How far is the bus stop from the road?

My nervousness makes me thirsty. I get another drink from my water bottle. Maybe it's just further back from the road. As I get closer I realize it isn't. The bus stop is not there at all.

I decide it hasn't been moved or has it? Then I consider the possibilities. Am I at the right intersection?
I'm not. I must have confused the street names. Everything starts with "H".

Checking my watch, I realize I have to move fast to get to the right street. It's not likely that I will make it in time. I quicken my pace. Distressed that I have to stop at the crosswalk for what feels like forever. I'm not walking anymore but marching down the sidewalk. My legs are feeling the pound against the pavement. I will have to cross the street again, but the bus stop is there I can tell from the distance. I'm about 50 feet away from the intersection when I see the bus turn, stop and leave before I can cross the street. I missed the bus.

Checking my watch, I may have time to walk home, and drive my car to my appointment without being late. It's hotter now and the marching has made me sweaty. I take off my jacket and tie it around my waste, so I'm still visible to the drivers. I am able to arrive home and drive to my appointment without arriving late. Public transportation is a game. You win or lose. Maybe I lost. Maybe I just beat the system.


No comments:

Post a Comment