Wednesday, December 21

How to Dump a Banjo Teacher

Sometimes, you realize that what you have is not what you need. I wanted to learn how to play a certain song and come to find out it's not the right style of banjo my teacher knows....Well, why am I still here then?


Sometimes, you realize there are only 10 minutes left in your lesson and you haven't played your banjo yet. Have we been totally off-topic for 20 minutes? I'm pretty sure I didn't bring up Minnesota winters. I'm not paying $20 to hear about that...Well, why am I still here then?


In order to minimize confrontations, finger-pointing and burning bridges, keep the focus off the teacher:


It's not You, it's Me
I've really wanted to learn how to play this song that you said is in the bluegrass style and you said that you don't really know how to play bluegrass style. I'm thinking I might switch for awhile to learn that style so I can play that song.  I also wonder if my piano playing history might not be better suited to bluegrass style (important to mention in case I don't come back)...


Old Fashioned Gentleman's response
If that's what you want to do. You should do it.


Ask Them to Leave the Back Door Open
All I really want to do is play the banjo. If something happens or it doesn't work out with the other teacher...I might come back...(important to mention in case I do come back, or want to come back)...



No comments:

Post a Comment